Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Is A Cinderela-less Sweet 16 Boring?


Although ESPN.com senior writer Pat Forde never poses the question in his latest column, I'm sure it had to have crossed his mind, as it has many this week: Is the looming Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament a little boring without a surprise Cinderella team still alive?

This is the first year in quite a long time that none of these said spoilers -- think George Mason of 2006 -- will be present in the Sweet 16 round. (No. 12 Arizona, pictured above, comes closest, but they're traditionally a powerhouse, so they don't count.) Instead, all of the 1, 2 and 3-seeds are still alive, making this weekend's round and the rest of the tournament a true display of basketball's finest teams. But it seems like there's a greater excitement to the tournament when a surprise team makes it deep, and I can't help but notice a little bit of buzz fading now that there's not an underdog to root for. I'm not a diehard basketball fan, but I appreciate the game and of course I'm invested (literally) in the tournament this year for the same reason everyone else is: that fine payday that awaits. (Don't look now, but I'm NUMBER ONE in all Lehigh brackets on Facebook!) 

Anyway, has the tournament become less interesting without a Cinderella team? Or are you excited to see the nation's best teams square off to determine an unquestionable champion in terms of talent? Do you care? Do you just want the money? Discuss! 


2 comments:

  1. I mean having a number 16 seed in the sweet sixteen would be a good story, but I actually get mad when this happens. Not to say that all teams are not working hard, but i feel when a lower seed team beats a much higher seeded team, that REALLY sucks. Like when I was watching 1. Louisville v. 9. Siena (im not even sure how i remember who was playing..but anyways)and it was towards the end of the game and Siena had the lead up until the last minute. Not only do I have Louisville winning the whole thing, so duh i wanted them to win, but bias aside, it really would have blew the big one for a 9 to beat a 1. I think with the best playing the best we are really going to see some good ball, big spirits, a lot of heart and an unstoppable drive to be the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we all know how much I love a bracket, but I'm not too big of a basketball fan. I mean, I love the Big Dance, and all it has to offer, but I don't follow all the college teams like some people do. I basically just follow my team, checking in on them every now and then (UNC!) -- mostly because I have loved them since I was baby, and have some emotional ties to the team, and oh yeah, Tyler Hansbrough. I will say no Cinderella team is slightly less boring, and I'm sure the networks are kind of pissed about it, but let's think about what this tournament is all about: finding the undisputed National Champion. There shouldn't be lucky teams in the Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final 4, etc. etc. It's about the best team on the court, and if all the number 1,2, and 3 seeds are all still alive, well then kudos to the ranking officials. Plus, no bandwagon fans riding the wave of some fluke team as they make their way through the bracket. Bandwagon fans are soo my pet peeve, and I can't stand people that know nothing, or never even heard of a team are all of a sudden die-hard fans because they are doing well. Either way, I'm watching.

    ReplyDelete