Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Let The Man Tweet, Coach!


Charlie V loves Twitter, hates eyebrows

So in keeping theme with our recent discussions about social networking and its place in the sports world, I thought I'd post about an article from ESPN about Milwaukee Bucks forward Charlie Villanueva's recent Twitter mishap:

Villanueva got a talking-to from his coach Scott Skiles after the coach learned Villanueva posted a message to his Twitter feed -- a "tweet" -- from his mobile phone during halftime of Sunday's home victory over the Boston Celtics.

"We made a point to Charlie and the team that it's nothing we ever want to happen again," Skiles said after practice Tuesday. "You know, [we] don't want to blow it out of proportion. But anything that gives the impression that we're not serious and focused at all times is not the correct way we want to go about our business."

Using the screen name "CV31" -- Villanueva's initials and jersey number -- Villanueva posted the following message during halftime Sunday:

"In da locker room, snuck to post my twitt. We're playing the Celtics, tie ball game at da half. Coach wants more toughness. I gotta step up."


Personally, I don't really see anything wrong with Villanueva's actions -- besides him NOT HAVING ANY EYEBROWS, WHICH CREEPS ME THE HELL OUT -- because he wasn't doing anything harmful against his team. In fact, I love to see athletes embracing Twitter, and social networking devices in general. I've been having a blast following Shaq on Twitter (THE_REAL_SHAQ), who recognizes the Web site as a great way to communicate with his fans. While coaches from the old guard might not see a place for Twitter in the locker room, I think that if it isn't distracting to players competitively, why not tweet? This can only be a good thing for sports. It of course brings more attention to the athletes, shows fans another side of them, and probably would only increase revenues. Plus, Villanueva said the tweet motivated him, and the forward turned in a pretty decent game in the second half. Coach Skiles... you have a really mediocre team on the verge of missing the playoffs. You see what happens when one of your players tries something new. Why not let all your players tweet from now on?

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you Andrew...I think Coach Skiles is missing the boat here. I was really interested to read what a player like him would be thinking/hearing during half time of a professional game. I mean, yes we have TV and interviews, but that is too invasive for the locker room during the middle of a game. This could be a huge thing for sports, especially professional, to give this kind of "inside" look at the team. I get the coach's point at being focused at all times, however I would understand it more coming from a division I college basketball coach in the midst of March Madness...NBA just seems it would have more room for leniency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I don't think there is really anything wrong with "tweeting" during halftime of a game. Why not? I mean, social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook help to distract, alleviate stress, and whatever else its fans make uses and gratifications for. If it helps Charlie V take his mind of the incredibly stressful game for jsut one minute, then why not? Charlie is using the site to distract himself, possibly to share himself with the world and with his fans, and to have fun! Why is this such a problem?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I have to be the bad guy and agree with the Coach on this one. I have a blackberry and it is the worst invention ever in my own life. Sure, I love getting emails and facebook updates...but now I find myself being that a-hole who is always on their phone, txting, emailing, facebooking...at inappropriate times. I can appreciate the perspective that "twittering" during a game or match could be an awesome way to gain insight to the way a player is feeling at that moment...but shouldn't the players focus be wholly concentrated on the competition and his teammates. I'm not trying to judge the player here, I am sure he never thought for a second that he was being disrespectful or anything. It's just that in hindsight, doing this could lead to an image one may not necessarily wish to portray. What is more important? Your cell phone and web-based social network, or the real live people in front of you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, i agree with andy. I really don't see anything wrong. I mean, in the middle of a game, you are posting on Twitter, that may not be the most focused thing to do, but to each his own. And for the readers & fans of his twitter site, they must have thought it was pretty cool to see him post in the middle of a game.

    ReplyDelete